Saturday, January 29, 2005

Who to Blame ?

How intimate has the word Bribe has become to a Normal (!)? Indian Citizen….

Unless the intensity of it strkes you, you never feel it as your problem, rather you feel like its yet another news block in the newspaper (not even the headlines) or yet another news from the non-ruling party TV about the ruling party…

2 weeks back I had been called for Passport Enquiry as I had applied for new passport. I had submitted all necessary documents as mentioned, still I was asked to bring an identity of my father (either his passport or any document) … without understanding the real meaning… I went back and called up home to get the documents faxed. Next day got it and went to the office to submit it.

The aaapeecer (Govt Officer) who was verifying my documents asked are all these documents from your place. Since I hadn’t come out of Madurai (my birth place) till my college completion all my documents starting from Birth Certificate to the Degree Certificate is from Madurai (TamilNadu)

The hon. Aapeecer called me alone and told that, all documents you’ve submitted okay… but don’t you give anything else in your places?


Oh! Poor soul, then it struck me, what he was exactly looking among the documents. Hey you are in India man so you need not pinch yourself when asked for a bribe. (this is what I felt).

Then when I asked him how much does he needs, he didn’t hesitate to say 1000 bucks. Whew…! The passport application form itself 1000 Rs … he didn’t listen at all…

How many times I could tell him that, I am from a ordinary middle class family, 1000 Rs really means much to me, I cant afford that much. Then at last he privileged me by asking how much can you afford.

When I told 100 Rs, you should have seen his reaction…. Hhuutt!!!! Was his reply… a kind a noise you would make when you chase the stray street dogs when they come near you…


It was an moment when I felt my ultimate anger… am I ever denying his Money, or am I ever holding the money that he should get by his rights, no… I had just reduced the bribe amount (note it… I haven’t denied it… I have just reduced it)… for that his reaction is like that… felt like catching hold of his neck and kicking his a** and telling, “What the hell are you thinking man, do you feel this money which I give will bring you good will and happiness in your family? How could ever think of eating the food you buy with this kinda money?”


But nothing did I ask

He was bargaining till 500 bucks and at last told that… see this is the final amount, if possible give it or we’ll send the documents for verification down to south, we’ll see when you’ll get your passport.

Without knowing what to reply I came back.


Entire day I was thinking… this is not a new thing to our society right! This ritual has already been here for decades … no no… for generations, I’ve seen so many movies where hero’s raise against this. But why should I feel angry only now.


Thatz the damn mistake we all people are doing.


We don’t care for the stone on the street, until it strikes our legs. After it strikes we spend time in complaining about who had put the stone rather than moving it.

Is it the individual’s mistake? Or is the society to be blammed for it (is it not the individual who makes the society) or should the elders be blammed for not making the youngsters/kids realize that, this is not a formality to be completed, but it’s a thing that should be uprooted.


There was no answer from me!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so awesome! I don't think I have read through anything like that before.
So great to find another person with some unique thoughts on
this topic. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
This website is one thing that's needed on the web, someone with a little originality!

Visit my blog read what she said

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home